Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My rental car is missing?

I am exhausted. After a corporate show in White Plains, NY and then a corporate show in Houston, TX the next night, I am ready to be home. The travel wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that the hotel valet parkers lost my rental car keys. Pretty unbelievable. One would think that a nice hotel that charges $27 a night to park would be on top of things like that. The worst part was watching all the other people get their fancy cars as I sat there trying to figure out how to get a key for a Chevy Aveo.

Here's a little fun fact: rental car company's do not have backup keys for their cars. What seems like a basic idea to me is apparently too much for them to handle. So the easiest solution is out.

After talking with their Roadside Assistance, the best solution became to tow the car back to the rental car center. I needed to catch my flight, so I left. After landing, I call to make sure the car was picked up only to find out that the tow truck was too big to fit in the garage. Ugh.

The next morning, the valet company called to say the keys had reappeared! I called the rental car company and they said they would pick it up. This was finally going to be over.

Then I got the call that said the rental car guys went to pick up the car but it had already been picked up by two guys wearing ties. What? Who is going to steal a car wearing a tie?

This might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.